Feasts of St Mary
St Mary occupies the highest place in the veneration of the saints in the Coptic Orthodox church tradition. This is evident in the number of feasts that the church celebrates for her and the events in her life.
In addition, we have a fast for two weeks that is called after her name to, which is well kept by Copts young and old.
- The annunciation of her birth to her parents. 7th
- Her Birth. 1st Bashans
- Her Presentation to the temple. 3rd Kiahk
- Her Departure. 21st Toba
- The assumption of her body. 16th (the end of the two weeks fast called after name)
- The Consecration of the very first church called after her name in Philippi. 21st Ba’ouna.
- Her appearance in her church in Zaiton, Cairo. 2nd
- The monthly commemoration of St Mary every 21st of each Coptic month.
Great is the Honour of The Most Holy St Mary, the perpetual virgin who was greeted by Elizabeth saying: Blessed are you among women and blessed is the fruit of your womb…Blessed is she who believed for there will be a fulfilment of those things, which were told her from The Lord. Luke 1: 42,45.
May Her Intercessions be with us all, Amen.
Dr Ghaly Hanna